I Did The Medical Medium 28 Day Cleanse…And Here’s What Happened.
First, you should know that this post is IN NO WAY sponsored by the Medical Medium. I bought and read his book, and I followed his 28 Day Cleanse. I am not (and have never been) compensated in any way by the Medical Medium.
You should also know that I am not a doctor or medical professional. This post is not intended to be medical advice. Please consult your physician. Some of the links in this post are affiliate links meaning that I may make a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you purchase something through my link. I only recommend products that I know and love 🙂
If you stick around to the end, there is a special freebie for you to grab as well!
I have suffered from chronic mystery illness symptoms for the past eleven years.
Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
Chronic Hives/Itching Rash
Mono (EBV – Epstein Barr Virus)
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Endometriosis & Swelling
Just to name a few.
Reflecting back now on the past eleven years, I’m not mad about it.
This journey to learn about health and wellness, to learn about my body, to learn more about the world around me has led me to some pretty incredible places. When I look back, the amount of growth and personal development I have been through as a result is astounding. I am grateful for that learning and growth. If I had never been sick, I think I would still be the same closed-minded individual that I was so many years ago. I love the person I am now, and the person I am becoming.
There is a bunch of stuff that I used to think was “woo-woo crap” before that I now wholeheartedly believe.
In order to change your life, you have to open your mind to new possibilities.
So if you haven’t heard of the Medical Medium, and you’re skeptical, I get it.
Words like “cleanse” and “detox” and “protocol” and “diet” were always a big turn off for me.
Quite frankly, I thought it was a load of BULL. I was the first to give a good hard eye roll.
I’m asking you to try to approach this with an open mind today.
“The Universe Is Full of Infinite Possibility.”
Maybe this will be for you, and maybe not. I’m just asking you to give it a chance.
My Results After the 28 Day Cleanse
- I have more energy.
I haven’t had a cup of coffee in over a month. (I cut out coffee a few days before starting the full detox.) My body is falling into its own natural rhythm without the caffeine. I don’t have a mid-day slump anymore. I can get out of bed just fine in the morning. My fatigue levels are way down and my energy is way up. I also feel like I did my gut a huge favor by ditching my favorite sugar-laden carrageenan filled coffee cream. Do I miss the taste? Sure, but I also enjoy a healthier feeling body.
- My brain fog is clearing.
I have suffered from terrible brain fog for years now. I don’t know how else to describe it other than brain fog…like not being able to think clearly. A foggy mind. With each day that passes, I feel like my thinking clears. I know what I need to do to get shit done. I have a plan and can see the road ahead.
- My skin is the best it has ever been, and it feels like baby skin!!!
I know that sounds super weird, but it’s true! Ever since my explant surgery in October of 2017, my skin has kind of been freaking out. I was getting large deep cystic acne outbreaks. I had them under control for the most part with creams and such, but it was still ugly and embarrassing. No outbreaks since doing this cleanse.
In fact, my face isn’t oily at all. I don’t even need to wash it. I still feel the urge to wash it because that is something that is ingrained in all of us from such a young age. “If you’re struggling with acne, it’s your fault because you aren’t clean enough. You’re not washing your face enough.” Well, this proves (to me anyway) that that thinking is false. Acne has everything to do with what you’re eating.
My scalp is also way less oily. I have naturally curly hair. The worst thing you can do for this hair type (since it’s already drier than other hair types) is to wash it every day. BUT what do you do if after a day, your hair is looking greasy? Ugh. Is there anything worse? Dry shampoo has been my best friend. However, now I can go a few days between washes WITHOUT using dry shampoo too! What?!?!
The skin on my face feels SUPER soft. It’s not just my face either. My skin all over my body is improving without the use of any lotion or special creams.
- My nails are growing like crazy.
They would be pretty long right now if I didn’t pick at them. (Add that to the list of self-improvements to make for 2019.)
- My digestion is the best it has ever been.
It takes your body a few days to adjust to the change. This is probably more fiber than you’ve ever had at once (in your entire life). Give it a few days. You will see a dramatic change. I have IBS, and I haven’t had a flair up in the last 28 days. This next part may be TMI for you, but I will always be honest and keep it real with you. So here it goes…
They say that a person with a healthy digestive system will use the bathroom after every meal. I NEVER did before, but I do now.
- My swollen (and often painful) lymph nodes are back to normal.
Ever since I had a flair up of mono (caused by the EBV virus) at the end of 2015, I have struggled with swollen lymph nodes in my neck and underarms. Every time I would scrub and/or shave my underarms, I could feel the swollen little lumps in the area. Don’t worry. I have seen a doctor about this…many times actually. I have had blood tests and scans. My doctor even put me on an anti-viral a year after my acute symptoms because the viral load in my blood test was coming back way too high. Still the swollen nodes have persisted. As I am sitting here writing this on Day 28, my underarms are completely lump and pain free. The node on the right side of my neck that was HUGE during my acute infection and remained swollen afterward feels normal to me.
- I have only taken Benadryl a handful of times.
You’re probably thinking that this is a weird one. For the past few years (I am afraid to think about how many it really has been now…probably 5 at least) I have been taking Benadryl almost daily. See, about 11 years ago now, I broke out in an itchy rash. The first of many. It came on during a stressful time. I’m not sure how to describe it. It kind of looks like thousands of teeny tiny acne bumps with a white center. It would take one-two weeks to go away.
Then I would wear a t-shirt that rubbed my neck the wrong way and the whole area would break out again. Each time I broke out, the rash crept up farther and farther. First it was my chest, then neck, then face, then the scalp itching started. OH MY GOSH THE SCALP ITCHING. Heaven forbid you scratch it even once. It is unbearable. The more you scratch, the more the itching intensifies and spreads. I had blood tests, and I saw my dermatologist. My family doctor told me that all my blood tests were normal. Nothing was wrong. My dermatologist told me that it was acne.
So now what? I had to find a way to cope. I wouldn’t wear any clothing that might rub my neck. I tried changing shampoos. I changed laundry detergents. Nothing helped. My seasonal allergies started, so I was taking Zyrtec. That seemed to help. I took a Zyrtec pill every day for maybe 2-3 years. Then it just didn’t seem effective anymore. Now I’m on Benadryl. I take one at the first sign of itching. Otherwise, it gets out of control.
I really wish that I had marked this one down in my planner. Next time, I will collect better scientific evidence. Over the past 28 days, I have taken Benadryl maybe 5 times TOTAL versus one almost every day.
So, the itching is still not completely resolved, but I would say that things are DEFINITELY moving in the right direction.
- I lost weight.
I put this one last because my reasons for doing this cleanse had nothing to do with losing weight and everything to do with gaining health. I will say though that I lost a solid 6+ lbs. I probably would have lost more if it weren’t for my cashew addition.
How Did I Get to This Point?
Well, it’s a story that spans the past eleven years. It started when I realized that I wasn’t going to get any help or answers from my doctors.
If you want to follow the path that I have followed so far, you will…
- Read Eat to Live By Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He proves that the healthiest populations on this planet eat a primarily plant-based diet and use plants and herbs to heal.
- Watch Food Inc. on Netflix and start to realize just how f*cked up our food system is here in the United States. Big corporations control our government (FDA, USDA, Congress, etc.) in order to protect their own best interests over the best interests of the people. Politicians need money to run for office. Where does the money come from? Big business, corporations, and industry, and who do politicians owe favors to once elected? Both parties are guilty and corrupt and complacent.
- Watch Fed Up on Netflix and see just how bad processed sugar is for you and how it is added to pretty much every processed food we eat. Also, learn about how the sugar in fruit is different from added sugar in processed foods. The sugar in fruit is naturally packaged with fiber which slows the spike in blood sugar to one that your body and liver can handle processing.
- Watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix. This is the story of how a man suffering from an autoimmune disease (rash) used fresh fruits and veggies (and a juicer) to cure himself.
- Watch Cowspiracy on Netflix. Our factory farming system contributes more to global warming than other activities on this planet. However, the media completely ignores this because it’s about protecting the industry, the system, and the cash cow rather than protecting people and the planet. Let’s protect the system instead of change it *eye roll*
- Discover Breast Implant Illness. Remove your implants after ten years of having them in and experiencing a reduced quality of life and immune dysfunction. To read more about my journey with implant, illness, and healing click HERE
- Finally get fed up with chronic illness and break down and purchase the Medical Medium by Anthony Williams (…even though you discovered his book two years prior and knew it would mean changing your lifestyle and habits and you avoided it because you didn’t want to do that yet…)
I do not want to knock modern medicine. We have come such a long way, and doctors can perform amazing works. When it comes to chronic illness, modern medicine has its shortfalls though. For example, the answers I have received from doctors have involved taking pills or doing things to mask my symptoms. I want to get to the root cause and fix it. This is one of the reasons why I am using this approach.
My journey over the past eleven years led me to this point. I believe in using the power of fruits and vegetables and the things that God put here on this earth for us to heal. There is something to be said for it.
Who is the Medical Medium?
Anthony Williams. You really need to pick up the book and hear the story from him. It’s his life and his story, and he can explain it far better than I can.
Spirit talks to him. He calls this Spirit the Spirit of Compassion. He says, “This book is unlike anything you’ve ever read.” And it’s so true. The things he has to say and the light he sheds on chronic mystery illness comes from Spirit and is so far undiscovered by the medical community.
If you already believe in God and believe in miracles, then this won’t be as big of a leap of faith for you. Read the book from cover to cover, and then tell me you don’t believe.
He’s got 1.5 million followers on Instagram and countless stories from real people who have listened to his advice and healed. Seriously, go check it out.
His website also contains a wealth of information FOR FREE.
If you have heard of the celery juice craze sweeping the nation right now, it comes from him. It’s not a craze and it’s not a health fad. This one will be around for the long haul.
What Is The 28 Day Cleanse?
The 28 Day Cleanse is simple, and it’s the best way to allow your body to heal.
No coffee. No alcohol. No meat or dairy. No processed food. No soy. No corn products. No grains at all. No beans. Just eat fruits and veggies every day for 28 days. That’s basically it.
I love it because it is so simple.
Cut out the inflammatory foods and the foods that are difficult to digest, and flood your body with nutrients.
You don’t have to do anything fancy.
He gives you some suggested menus to follow, but it’s really up to you.
I ended up doing celery juice (almost) every morning, a breakfast smoothie with three of his heavy metal detox ingredients, a lunch smoothie, and usually potatoes and roasted veggies for dinner. Because I chose to do roasted veggies, I probably slowed down some of the detox, but I am ok with that. I did what I needed to do in order to keep eating the fruits and veggies for 28 days.
I wanted to be sure that I was getting enough protein, so that was one of the reasons why I incorporated the cooked potatoes and raw cashews as well.
If you are going to use supplements, this is one area you really do not want to cheap out in. It is SO important to find high quality supplements from trusted sources. I cannot stress this enough. Everything I linked above are the brands recommended by the Medical Medium (except for the Yogi Detox Tea). I have been drinking Traditional Medicinals Tea for years now, and I won’t drink anything else besides the Yogi brand. The last thing you want to do is to put cheap low grade supplements into your body that could potentially do harm.
Click the button above to see my Medical Medium Shopping List!
I Didn’t Think That I Could Do It Either…
I know what you’re thinking. I thought it too. I wanted to go for the full 28 days, but I told myself that I might only be able to do it for 7.
But then something changed inside of me. My desire to heal became stronger than my desire to have a potato chip or to sneak some chocolate.
I wanted to prove to myself that if I put my mind to it, I COULD do it.
And I did. It wasn’t always easy. There was plenty of temptation: cake in the break room at work, Jet’s Pizza, Taco Bell, chicken wings, Super Bowl snacks, Christmas candy, and chocolate in my classroom. I am proud to say that I turned it all down.
Eating and drinking are such social activities. It can be so hard to break from the norm of what everyone else is doing.
I went on a date right in the middle of my 28 days. I think it was on Day 11. I felt so good about what I was doing. I considered breaking, but ultimately I didn’t want to start over and ruin my progress. So I went on the date, and I drank water. I ate before I went. I figured, if he has a problem with it or can’t support me, then he’s not worth my time.
Eating healthy will always be a part of my life, so the guy I’m with had better be on board.
If I can do it, so can you. You are incredibly powerful. When you decide to believe in yourself, you really can do anything.
If You Are Interested in Getting Started
- Purchase his book and read it for yourself. He describes his gift, and for me, there was a moment when I knew in my gut that this was for me. If it’s for you, then I’m betting you’ll have one of those moments too.
- Please know that I was not perfect. I did eat cooked veggies for dinner. (It was late January/early February, and it has been freaking cold. I wanted something warm!) I also probably ate too many raw cashews. I have zero self-control when it comes to raw cashews lol. Other than those exceptions, I did not break. He says to listen to your body and to take it slow, so that’s what I did.
- He recommends a lot of fruits, veggies, and supplements. I did not want to start a ton of new stuff all at once. I started out with what I know…apples, oranges, a few smoothies…and then I slowly started adding new things. I am at the end of my 28 days and I still have other supplements that I would like to slowly incorporate. There’s no need to make it complicated.
- Write down exactly WHAT you want to heal and WHY. The why is so important. When you feel like breaking, look at that list and stick with it. Stay strong.
You can model your list after mine. This is what I wrote (in the notes in my phone haha):
My why for doing the Medical Medium Protocol.
Because my bleeding is so irregular
Because my periods are so painful
Because of chronic fatigue
Because of breast implants
Because of mono
Because of the itching
Because of the IBS
Because of acid reflux
Because of tinnitus
Because I love myself
Because I love my body
Because I want to take good care of me
It’s time to clean things up
It’s time to take responsibility
I can heal
I will heal
I will give my body the break it needs to heal
I will give my body the nutrients it needs to heal
It feels good to treat my body well.
- Know that this is NOT forever. You will have your favorite meals again. This is just for 28 days.
- Don’t skip the dates! Buy plenty of pitted medjool dates! These are a game changer for your smoothies…especially once you start adding in the spirulina and the barelygrass juice powder.
- Peel your bananas from the bottom up 😊
You’ll need a good high quality blender and juicer. These are the two I have and recommend.
Now That My 28 Days Are Up
What are my plans moving forward? Well, I plan to keep this going for as long as possible.
I will start to incorporate whole grains into my diet like quinoa and oats (gf).
I will be ok with a cheat here and there.
Moving forward 80-90% of my diet is going to be plant-based. I will make some exceptions on some special occasions. I will have cake, and ice cream, and steak, and cheese again. However, I’ll be saving up my meat and dairy and gluten allowances for some special times.
When I get to Italy in May, you best believe that I will be eating and drinking ALL of the things. When I come back home, I’ll hit it hard again and give my body the rest it needs to recover and heal.
Now it’s all up to you. I encourage you to check out Anthony Williams and his books. See if it’s right for you. What have you got to lose?
Actually, the better question is, what do you have to gain?
Grab my favorite smoothie recipes and shopping list to get your started by putting in your email here:
First you’ll get an email to confirm your subscription. If you don’t see that in your inbox, be sure to check your spam folder. Drag and drop the email over your primary inbox so that you never miss another email! (I don’t send much…promise!)
If you found this post useful, please pin it using the image below! & Make sure you read my one year follow up post as well!